A tidy, well kept closet is the best. Your mornings will run more smoothly and your outfit options seem limitless.
Try some of these ideas to make the most of your space.
1. If you don’t have any real closets in your home, integrate storage into another room. Wall racks and hangers are easy to install.
THE CLOSET TRICK
Turn around all the hangers in your closet so the hooks are pointing towards you (wrong way round).
When you wear something, put it back with the hook the normal way.
In six months, any hanger still facing the wrong way is holding an item you haven’t worn, ready for the
We’re really going to try and get serious on the regular closet clear outs…more tips and ideas are
welcome – let us know in the comments below if you follow the six month rule.
3. Store your most-used items at eye level, less-used items below, and least-used
items up high.
4. Combine storage units to fit your different needs: drawers for folded items, hangers for dresses and suits, and boxes for odds and ends.
5. Use coordinated hangers for a clean look that will care for your clothes and help you stay organised.
6. Use an umbrella stand to hold odd items like a yoga mats.
7. Use boxes, cubes, tiered shelves, or a hanging organiser to sort shoes.
8. Keep folded clothes or accessories neat with shelf dividers.
9. Use vertical space (both above and below the closet rod) to store more.
10. Add lights in your closet so you can see (and use!) what’s in there.
11. If you live in a small space, replace traditional closet doors that swing out with curtains or hanging.
12. Use stackable laundry baskets for easy sorting, that you can also carry to the washing machine.
13. Hooks can create extra storage space when you hang them inside the closet.
14. Keep your closet in shape by treating it like a small room. Pay attention to lighting, wall color, and floor coverings.
15. Make more room in your closet by storing out-of-season clothes in boxes up high or under the bed.
16. Colour coding your wardrobe makes finding things easier.
17. A rolling cart with coordinated boxes can be pulled in or out of the closet and used for clothing or office supply storage.
18. Use suitcases elsewhere in the house to store out-of-season linens, blankets, or sweaters.